Ham-and-Cheese Slab Pie
- On a floured surface, roll one batch of Pastry Dough to a 17 x 12-inch rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Fold into quarters; unfold into a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Ease into sides and corners. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond pan edges. Cover and chill trimmings.
- For filling: In a 3-quart saucepan heat butter and vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add leeks and garlic. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add chicken broth and mustard; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in ham, sweet peppers, peas, herbs, parsley, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cool 10 minutes. Stir in Gruyere cheese and flour. Transfer filling to pastry-lined baking pan.
- For filling, in a 3-quart saucepan heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add leeks and garlic. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add chicken broth and Dijon; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in ham, sweet peppers, peas, fresh herbs, and salt. Let cool for 10 minutes. Stir in Gruyere and flour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a floured surface, roll second batch of Pastry Dough to a 17 x 12-inch rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Trim to a 15 x 10-inch rectangle, keeping trimmings as similar in width as possible; reserve trimmings. Fold pastry into quarters; unfold over filling. (Or see our tip.) Fold edge of bottom pastry over top; pinch to seal.
- Make a decorative edge by twisting reserved trimmings and laying along each edge. If desired, decorate the top with additional reserved trimmings. Beat egg with 1 Tbsp. water; brush over top.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes; cut into 10 rectangles to serve. If desired, wrap each portion with waxed paper or bakery tissue; tie with kitchen twine. Serve warm or at room temperature (pie can sit out up to 2 hours). Reheat any remaining slices in a 350 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.
From the Test Kitchen
Make Ahead Tip
The pie can be assembled and refrigerated unbaked 1 day in advance. Or bake ahead, refrigerate, and reheat in a 350 degrees F oven for 20 minutes.
Test Kitchen Trick
If you find transferring the large piece of top pastry intimidating, try the Better Homes & Gardens® Test Kitchen method. In Step 3, cut the 15 x 10-inch rectangle in ten 5 x 3-inch rectangles. In Step 4, use trimmings to decorate each rectangle as desired. Using a floured wide spatula or bench scraper, transfer each rectangle onto your filling so they form neat rows. Fold bottom edges over top; brush with egg wash. Continue baking as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Ham-and-Cheese Slab Pie)
- Per serving:
- 499 kcal ,
- 30 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 115 mg chol. ,
- 1016 mg sodium ,
- 37 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.