Half-Moon Santa Almond Sugar Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla, and almond extract until combined. Beat in ground almonds. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 4-inch-long crescent-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- For hats, outline and flood half of each cookie with glaze-consistency red-tinted Royal Icing. For hatbands, outline and flood glaze-consistency white Royal Icing in a strip beneath each hat. For beards, use a new artist's paintbrush to swirl on frosting-consistency white Royal Icing; sprinkle white sanding sugar on beards. Use a clean, dry artist's brush to apply red luster dust on cheeks. Use icing to attach small blue candies for eyes.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Half-Moon Santa Almond Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 178 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 99 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 19 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.