Grumpy Grinchy Marshmallow Treats
- Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly butter foil; set pan aside.
- In a 6- to 8-qt. Dutch oven melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows; cook and stir until melted. Stir in marshmallow creme, vanilla, and salt. Remove from heat. Stir in green food coloring. Set aside 1 cup of the marshmallow mixture. Gently stir cereal into remaining marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer cereal mixture to the prepared pan; use buttered waxed paper to press firmly into pan. Coat an offset spatula with nonstick cooking spray and use it to spread reserved marshmallow mixture over cereal layer; top with green sugar and candies.*
- Weight cookies down to press the layers together.** Let stand overnight. Use edges of foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Transfer to a cutting board. Using a buttered knife, cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Wrap bars individually in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
If you can't find red heart-shape candies, make your own. Melt red candy coating discs according to package directions. Spread in a 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick layer on a sheet of waxed paper. Let stand until set. Use a small heart-shape cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes. Place on bars. (Or use a tube of purchased red frosting fitted with a plain tip to pipe hearts on bars after cutting into bars.)
To weight the cookies down, cover the surface with a sheet of buttered waxed paper and a sheet of foil. Place another 13x9-inch baking pan on top of cookies; add a few unopened cans of food to the top pan for weight.
Nutrition Facts (Grumpy Grinchy Marshmallow Treats)
- Per serving:
- 284 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 7 mg chol. ,
- 212 mg sodium ,
- 62 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 38 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.