Grilled Vegetable and Orzo Salad
- For vinaigrette, in a screw-top jar combine vinegar, olive oil, shallot, rosemary, thyme, mustard, salt, and black pepper. Cover and shake well.
- To hold onion slices together during grilling, insert short wooden skewers* into onion slices from the sides. In a large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish, combine onion, zucchini, sweet pepper, and tomatoes. Pour vinaigrette over vegetables in bag; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator 2 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare orzo according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again. Place orzo in a large bowl; set aside.
- Drain vegetables, reserving vinaigrette. For a charcoal grill, grill vegetables on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals until crisp-tender and lightly charred, turning once halfway through grilling. Allow 5 to 6 minutes for tomatoes, 7 to 8 minutes for zucchini and peppers, and about 10 minutes for the onion. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place vegetables on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.) Transfer vegetables to a cutting board; cool slightly. Coarsely chop the vegetables.
- Add vegetables and reserved vinaigrette to orzo; toss to combine. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Serve at room temperature.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes before grilling; drain before using.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Vegetable and Orzo Salad)
- Per serving:
- 354 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 265 mg sodium ,
- 45 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.