Grilled Stuffed Green Chiles
- Rinse peppers; pat dry. Carefully cut a lengthwise slit down one side of each pepper. Using a small, sharp knife, gently scrape out as many seeds and as much membrane as possible without tearing the pepper. Leave stems attached.
- For a charcoal grill, place peppers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over hot coals. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes or until skin turns dark and blisters, turning often during grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Place peppers on the grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.)
- Wrap peppers in foil; let stand for 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, hold peppers under cold running water, carefully peeling away blackened skin. Be careful not to tear peppers.
- In a small bowl stir together goat cheese, colby cheese, and cayenne pepper. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the cheese mixture into each of the whole peppers. Do not overstuff. Pinch edges together with cheese to seal.
- Lightly brush stuffed peppers with oil. If desired, place peppers in a grill basket. For a charcoal grill, place peppers on the grill rack directly over medium-hot coals (or place grill basket on rack directly over medium-hot coals). Grill for 3 to 4 minutes or just until cheese melts. Do not turn. (For a gas grill, reduce heat to medium-high. Place peppers on the grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.) Serve warm with Fresh Tomato Salsa.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Continue as above in Steps 4 and 5.
Fresh Tomato Salsa
- In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, onion, chile peppers, sugar and salt. Cover and chill for 1 to 24 hours.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Stuffed Green Chiles)
- Per serving:
- 278 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 36 mg chol. ,
- 550 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 13 g pro.