Grilled Squash and Manchego Quesadillas with Nectarine-Tomato Salsa
- For nectarine-tomato salsa, in a medium bowl combine nectarines, tomatoes, the 1/2 cup cilantro, the onion, lime juice, chile pepper, hot pepper sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; set aside.
- Cut squash lengthwise into about 1/3-inch slices. Coat squash with cooking spray; sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, the oregano, and black pepper.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place squash slices on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill about 7 minutes or until squash is crisp-tender, turning once halfway through grilling. Coarsely chop squash.
- Place 6 of the tortillas on a work surface. Divide squash among tortillas; sprinkle with cheese. Top with the remaining 6 tortillas, pressing firmly. Coat tortillas with cooking spray.
- Place filled tortillas on grill rack. Grill for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crisp, turning once halfway through grilling. Cut quesadillas into quarters. Serve with nectarine-tomato salsa and sour cream. If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Squash and Manchego Quesadillas with Nectarine-Tomato Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 160 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 287 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.