Grilled Pork Skewers with Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
- Trim fat from pork and cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch cubes. In a large bowl stir together chili powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add pork and toss to coat. Thread pork on sixteen 8-inch skewers.** Cover and chill.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan combine the blueberries, molasses, vinegar, jalapenos, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes until thick, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool. Set aside 1 cup.
- Grill pork skewers on rack of a covered grill directly over medium coals for 6 to 8 minutes or until meat is still slightly pink in the center, turning once and brushing pork with reserved sauce halfway through grilling. Serve with remaining blueberry sauce and Blueberry Corn Salad. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Because hot chile peppers, such as (jalapenos, others), contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with chiles as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chile peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.
If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes; drain before using.
Refrigerate remaining sauce in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Blueberry Corn Salad
- In a screw-top jar combine the 1/2 cup oil, lemon juice, mint, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper; cover and shake until combined.
- To grill corn, pull back husks, but don't remove. Remove silks; rinse corn. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Fold husks back around corn. Tie tops of husks closed with 100-percent-cotton kitchen string.
- Grill corn on rack of covered grill directly over medium coals for 20 to 25 minutes or until kernels are tender, turning occasionally. Remove and cool. Cut kernels from cobs. In large bowl combine corn, berries, and dressing. In a large bowl combine the corn kernels, berries, and dressing.
Nutrition Facts (Blueberry Corn Salad)
- Per serving:
- 275 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 200 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Pork Skewers with Blueberry Barbecue Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 219 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 74 mg chol. ,
- 307 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 19 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.