Grilled Hot Dogs
- Tote frankfurters and desired toppings in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill. For a charcoal grill, grill frankfurters on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 3 to 7 minutes or until heated through, turning occasionally. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place frankfurters on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Serve frankfurters in buns with toppings.
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Chicago-Style Hot Dogs:
Prepare as directed, except serve with the following toppings: yellow mustard, chopped onions, sweet pickle relish, sliced jalapeno chile peppers, thinly sliced roma tomatoes, pickle spears, and celery salt. Nutrition Analysis: 315 calories, 11 g protein, 27 g carb, 18 g total fat, 28 mg cholesterol, 7 g sat. fat, 2 g fiber, 5% Vitamin A, 7% Vitamin C, 1482 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 13% iron
New York City Dogs:
Prepare as directed, except serve with the following toppings: Dijon-style mustard, New York Onion Sauce (see below), and, if desired, drained sauerkraut. Nutrition analysis: 330 calories, 11 g protein, 28 g carb., 19 g total fat, 28 mg cholesterol, 7 g sat. fat, 2 g fiber, 5% vitamin A, 6% vitamin C, 1149 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 13% iron
Kansas City Dogs:
Prepare as directed, except serve with the following toppings: drained sauerkraut, sliced Swiss cheese, and, if desired, deli mustard. Nutrition analysis: 405 calories, 18 g protein, 25 g carb., 25 g total fat, 54 mg cholesterol, 12 g sat. fat, 2 g fiber, 5% vitamin A, 7% vitamin C, 1090 mg sodium, 30% calcium, 14% iron
Prepare as directed, except serve with Bacon Coleslaw (see below) or 1 3/4 cups deli coleslaw. Nutrition Analysis: 385 calories, 12 g protein, 24 g carb., 26 g total fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 8 g sat. fat, 1 g fiber, 9% vitamin A, 18% vitamin C, 1004 mg sodium, 8% calcium, 12% iron
New York Onion Sauce
- The day before: In a large skillet cook onions, thinly sliced, in hot vegetable oil over medium heat about 15 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. If onions brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in chili powder and ground cinnamon. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in ketchup, water, bottled hot pepper sauce, salt, and ground black pepper. Transfer to a storage container; cover and chill overnight. Tailgate day: Tote in the cooler with the frankfurters. If desired, transfer to a disposable foil pan and reheat on the grill.
- The day before: Place shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix) in a storage container. In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, sugar, and celery seeds. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Pour over cabbage mixture; toss gently to coat. Stir in crumbled, crisp-cooked bacon. Cover and chill overnight. Tailgate day: Tote in the cooler with the frankfurters.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Hot Dogs)
- Per serving:
- 305 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 954 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.