Grilled Eggplant Stacks with Basil Chiffonade
- Brush eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons of the Basil-Infused Olive Oil. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- For a charcoal grill, grill eggplant slices on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-high coals for 8 to 10 minutes or until very tender and lightly charred, turning frequently. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-high. Place eggplant slices on grill rack directly over heat. Cover and grill as directed.)
- In a food processor or blender combine cannellini beans, feta cheese, lemon peel, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the Basil-infused Olive Oil, and the garlic. Cover and process or blend just until combined but still chunky. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Arrange eggplant slices on serving plates. Top with bean mixture and roasted pepper strips. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon Basil-Infused Olive Oil. For basil chiffonade, roll up basil leaves and cut across the roll; sprinkle over eggplant stacks.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, substitute purchased basil-infused olive oil for the homemade.
Basil-Infused Olive Oil
- In a blender combine olive oil and basil leaves. Cover and blend until finely chopped. Transfer mixture to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until bubbles appear around the edges. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature. Strain mixture and store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Eggplant Stacks with Basil Chiffonade)
- Per serving:
- 302 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 20 mg chol. ,
- 771 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 10 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.