Grilled Chicken Skewers with Peanut Sauce
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Add 1/3 cup of the Marinade. Seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally. Cover and chill the remaining Marinade until needed.
- For peanut sauce, in a small saucepan combine broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, chili sauce, and fish sauce. Bring to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Whisk in peanut butter until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in sesame oil; cover to keep warm.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Thread chicken strips, accordion-style, onto skewers,** leaving 1/4 inch between pieces. Brush lightly with some of the chilled reserved Marinade.
- Alternately thread corn and green onions onto sets of two parallel skewers, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces. Brush lightly with reserved Marinade.
- For a charcoal grill, place chicken skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, brushing both sides with some of the reserved Marinade and turning once halfway through grilling. Add vegetable skewers to the grill for the last 4 to 5 minutes of grilling, brushing both sides with the reserved Marinade and turning once. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chicken skewers on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed, adding vegetable skewers.)
- If desired, sprinkle chicken and vegetables with cilantro and sesame seeds. Sprinkle peanut sauce with sesame seeds. Serve chicken and vegetables with peanut sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, you may omit the Marinade. If you do, omit the marinating step as well and season the food with salt and ground black pepper.
If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes; drain before using.
- In a small saucepan combine broth, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup; cool. Strain sauce through a fine-mesh sieve; discard solids. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Chicken Skewers with Peanut Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 423 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 163 mg chol. ,
- 1840 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 16 g sugar ,
- 40 g pro.