Grilled Cheese Sandwich Soup
- In a large saucepan heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add broth and potato. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 20 to 25 minutes or until potato is tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, blend broth mixture until smooth*. Stir in half-and-half and mustard. Remove 1/2 cup soup to a small bowl; stir in cream cheese until smooth. Whisk cream cheese mixture back into soup. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until heated through. Reduce heat to low. Gradually add 3 cups of the shredded cheese, whisking until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler. Brush both sides of bread slices with oil; place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted, turning once. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese. If necessary, broil until cheese is melted.
- Top each serving with 2 cheese-topped bread slices.
From the Test Kitchen
Or transfer broth mixture, about one-fourth at a time, to a blender or food processor; cover and blend or process until smooth, removing cap from lid and holding a folded kitchen towel over opening. Return pureed mixture to saucepan.
For a smoky flavor, substitute smoked Gouda cheese for the three-cheese blend.
Per 1 1/3 cups: 606 cal., 43 g fat (26 g sat. fat), 147 mg chol., 1,213 mg sodium, 29 g carb., 2 g fiber, 27 g pro.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 642 calories, 28 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 43 g fat (26 g sat. fat), 147 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 8 g total sugar, 56% Vitamin A, 24% Vitamin C, 1292 mg sodium, 66% calcium, 7% iron
Spicy Pepper Jack
For a spicy flavor, substitute Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers for the three-cheese blend.
Per 1 1/3 cups: 634 cal., 44 g fat ( 26 g sat. fat), 128 mg chol., 1,079 mg sodium, 30 g carb., 2 g fiber, 25 g pro.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 670 calories, 25 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 44 g total fat (26 g sat. fat) 128 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 6 g total sugar, 58% Vitamin A, 24% Vitamin C, 1159 mg sodium, 67% calcium, 6% iron
Spicy Hot Pepper Sauce
Add 1 to 2 teaspoons bottled hot pepper sauce or Sriracha sauce to soup after cheese is melted.
Per 1 1/3 cups: 634 cal., 46 g fat (28 g sat. fat), 142 mg chol., 1,111 mg sodium, 30 g car., 2 g fiber, 25 g pro.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 670 calories, 25 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 46 g fat (28 g sat. fat), 142 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 6 g total sugar, 64% Vitamin A, 24% Vitamin C, 1191 mg sodium, 67% calcium, 6% iron
Mac and Cheese Soup
Stir 2 cups small broccoli florets (if desired); 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni; and 5 ounces cooked ham, cubed, into soup after the cheese is melted. Cook and stir 5 minutes (or until broccoli is tender, if using). Omit step 3. Sprinkle servings with smoked paprika or paprika. Makes 10 cups (six 1 2/3-cup servings).
Per 1 2/3 cups: xxx calories, xx g protein, xx g carbohydrate, xx g fat (xx g sat. fat), xxx mg cholesterol, x g fiber, x g total sugar, xx% Vitamin A, xx% Vitamin C, xxxx mg sodium, xx% calcium, x% iron
Nutrition analysis per serving: 622 calories, 29 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 42 g total fat (25 g sat. fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 7 g total sugar, 63% Vitamin A, 60% Vitamin C, 1156 mg sodium, 59% calcium, 13% iron
Nutrition Facts (Grilled Cheese Sandwich Soup)
- Per serving:
- 655 kcal ,
- 46 g fat
- (27 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 133 mg chol. ,
- 1143 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 27 g pro.