Grill-Smoked Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- For rub, in a small bowl stir together paprika, black pepper, salt, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle rub evenly over meat; rub in with your fingers.
- In a smoker arrange preheated coals, wood chunks, and water pan according to manufacturer's directions. Pour water into pan. Place meat on the grill rack over water pan. Cover and smoke for 5 to 6 hours or until meat reached 185-190 degrees and is very tender. Add additional coals and water as needed to maintain moisture and a temperature between 250 and 325 degrees F. Do not add wood after the first 2 hours of smoking. (Too much smoke can give a bitter taste to smoked meat.)
- Remove meat from smoker. Cover meat with foil; let stand for 20 minutes. Cut meat into thick pieces. Using two forks, gently pull the meat into long thin shreds. Place pulled pork in a large bowl. Add about 1 1/2 cups of the Vinegar Barbecue Sauce. Stir until slightly moist, adding sauce if necessary.
- To serve, pile meat mixture onto buns. If desired, sprinkle with hot pepper sauce. Serve with remaining sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
For the most smoke production, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover for at least 1 hour before grilling. Drain wood chips before using.
To make ahead, prepare as above through Step 4. Cover and chill for up to 3 days. Reheat in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Vinegar Barbecue Sauce
- In a clean 1-quart jar with a screw-top lid combine cider vinegar, granulated sugar, dry mustard, crushed red pepper, bottled hot pepper sauce, salt, and black pepper. Cover and shake well. Makes about 3-1/4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Grill-Smoked Pulled Pork Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 390 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 76 mg chol. ,
- 875 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.