Grill-Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Lightly coat a grill basket or grill wok with cooking spray; set aside. Place tomatoes and onion in a large bowl; drizzle with oil and gently toss to coat.
- Working in batches, transfer tomatoes and onion to the grill basket, placing tomatoes skin side down, leaving about 1/2 inch between pieces of tomato and onion. Sprinkle some of the basil, oregano, thyme, and garlic over each batch. Sprinkle each batch with some of the salt and pepper.
- For a gas or charcoal grill, place grill basket on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill about 5 minutes or until tomato skins begin to brown. Using a metal spatula, transfer grilled vegetables back to the large bowl. Repeat until all tomatoes and onions are grilled.
- If desired, remove and discard tomato skins. Working in batches, in a food processor process tomatoes, onions, and herbs until pureed but not smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in Parmesan cheese. To serve at once, transfer mixture to a large saucepan and reheat over low heat, stirring frequently. Or place in an airtight container or freezer bag and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.**
From the Test Kitchen
Spicy Grill-Roasted Tomato Sauce
Prepare as directed, except use two onions and delete the thyme and Parmesan cheese. While grilling, sprinkle each batch of tomatoes with some of 4 teaspoons crushed red pepper.
Nutrition Analysis: 104 calories, 1 g protein, 5 g carb., 9 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 17% Vitamin A, 21% Vitamin C, 169 mg. sodium, 2% calcium, 2% iron
Recipe can be doubled.
To serve, if frozen, thaw in the refrigerator. In a large saucepan reheat sauce over low heat, stirring frequently.
Nutrition Facts (Grill-Roasted Tomato Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 129 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 270 mg sodium ,
- 5 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.