Grill-Roasted Leg of Lamb with Amogio
- For the marinade and sauce, in a food processor or blender combine the olive oil, lemon juice, mint, shallot, garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Cover and process or blend until mixture is almost smooth but small pieces remain. Reserve half for marinade and half for sauce.
- Untie lamb roast and trim fat. To butterfly, lay roast flat, boned side up. From the center, cut to within 1/2 inch of the other side. Place knife in the V of the first cut. Cut horizontally to the cut boned surface and away form the first cut to within 1/2 inch of the end of the meat. Repeat on the opposite side of the V. Score the lamb with shallow (1/4-inch or less) crisscross cuts using a sharp knife. Place the lamb in a large resealable bag set in a shallow dish. Pour marinade over lamb in bag; seal bag. Turn to coat meat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Soak wood chips in enough water to cover for at least 1 hour before grilling.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals one one side of the grill and place a drip pan on the other side of the grill. Test for medium heat above pan. Insert two skewers crisscross through lamb to add stability when turning. Place lamb on grill rack directly over coals. Cover and grill 10 minutes, turning once and basting with marinade occasionally, until browned on both sides. Add a drained wood chips to coals, then move lamb to rack over drip pan. Cover and grill 15 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees F) or 20 minutes for medium (160 degrees F), with lid on as much as possible, basting occasionally. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect grilling. Grill as above, except place meat on a rack in a roasting pan.) Add lemon halves for last 5 minutes and grill until marks form.
- Remove lamb and lemon halves and let lamb rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved sauce and lemons. If desired, garnish lamb with mint.
Test Kitchen Tip
Call your favorite meat counter and tell them you want a boneless butterflied leg of lamb. They might have to special order and/or prepare one for you.
Nutrition Facts (Grill-Roasted Leg of Lamb with Amogio)
- Per serving:
- 644 kcal ,
- 48 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 31 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 145 mg chol. ,
- 516 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 47 g pro.