Green Chile Pork
- In a large skillet** heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat, one-third at a time, and cook until browned. Transfer meat to a 5- to 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Add poblano peppers and onion. In a small bowl combine remaining ingredients; pour over mixture in cooker. Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours or high 4 to 5 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat mixture to a serving bowl. Shred meat using two forks. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Stir enough of the cooking liquid into meat mixture to moisten.
From the Test Kitchen
Use a 6-qt. electric or stove-top pressure cooker. For electric cooker, use saute setting to brown meat; for stove-top cooker, brown meat directly in the pot. Add poblano peppers and onion. Stir in remaining ingredients. Lock lid in place. Set electric cooker on high pressure to cook 45 minutes. For stove-top cooker, bring up to pressure over medium-high heat according to manufacturer's directions; reduce heat enough to maintain steady (but not excessive) pressure. Cook 45 minutes. Remove from heat. For electric and stove-top models, let stand to release pressure naturally, at least 15 minutes, or according to manufacturer's directions. If necessary, carefully open steam vent to release any remaining pressure. Open lid carefully. Continue as directed in Step 3.
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
If using a slow cooker with a saute function, omit skillet. Heat oil in cooker on saute setting. Add meat, one-third at a time, and cook until browned. Continue as directed in Step 2.
Use in tacos, burrito bowls, pork sandwiches, on top of nachos or baked potatoes, stirred into soups or stews, or stuffed in pita pockets.
Store in an airtight container in freezer up to 3 months. Before serving, thaw in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (Green Chile Pork)
- Per serving:
- 252 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 70 mg chol. ,
- 285 mg sodium ,
- 5 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.