Green Beans with Shallots, Thyme, and Shiitake Mushrooms
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling. Add green beans. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain green beans in a colander. Run cold water over beans until chilled to stop the cooking and keep the beans bright green.
- In an extra-large skillet heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add shallots; cook just until tender, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms; cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add green beans. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until heated through, tossing occasionally. Add lemon peel, lemon juice, and thyme; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, garnish with almonds.
From the Test Kitchen
Short on shiitakes? Sub in sliced fresh cremini or button mushrooms (or use a mix). Out of shallots? Use 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced. Not a fan of thyme? Try an equal amount of fresh sage instead.
Always discard the stems of shiitake mushroomsthey're woody and inedible.
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed in Step 1. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Green Beans with Shallots, Thyme, and Shiitake Mushrooms)
- Per serving:
- 111 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 86 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.