Recipes and Cooking Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake 4.0 (4) Rich and fruity pound cake is infused with loads of grapefruit flavor from a crunchy citrus-sugar topper and a fresh grapefruit syrup. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on December 1, 2014 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Blaine Moats Prep Time: 20 mins Bake Time: 45 mins Cool Time: 30 mins Total Time: 95 mins Servings: 10 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 tablespoon finely shredded grapefruit peel 2 tablespoon sugar 1 ⅔ cup all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon baking powder ¼ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt 6 tablespoon butter, softened 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1 cup sugar 2 eggs ⅓ cup buttermilk ¼ cup grapefruit juice 2 tablespoon grapefruit juice 2 teaspoon sugar Grapefruit slices (optional)* Directions Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and lightly flour a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In a small bowl combine the grapefruit peel and 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside. In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl beat the butter and olive oil with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar and beat for 5 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined after each addition. Combine the buttermilk and 1/4 cup grapefruit juice. Alternately add the buttermilk mixture and flour mixture to the beaten mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove cake from pan and poke the top generously with a toothpick or a skewer. In a small bowl combine remaining 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice and 2 teaspoons sugar; brush over top of cake. Sprinkle cake with reserved sugar mixture. Cool completely. If desired, serve with grapefruit slices. * Reserve any remaining pulp and juice from the grapefruit and sweeten to taste with sugar. Serve with the cake as a simple syrup. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 275 Calories 11g Fat 41g Carbs 4g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 10 Calories 275 % Daily Value * Total Fat 11g 14% Saturated Fat 5g 25% Cholesterol 56mg 19% Sodium 186mg 8% Total Carbohydrate 41g 15% Total Sugars 25g Protein 4g Vitamin C 4.5mg 23% Calcium 31mg 2% Iron 1.2mg 7% Potassium 70mg 1% Folate, total 44.7mcg Vitamin B-12 0.1mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.