Cheesy Polenta Squares
- Lightly coat an 8x8x2-inch baking pan with nonstick spray coating. In a 2-quart saucepan heat milk just to simmering.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl stir together cornmeal, cold water, and salt. Gradually add cornmeal mixture to simmering milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir until mixture returns to simmering; reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over low heat about 10 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently.
- Spread cornmeal mixture in prepared baking pan. Let stand, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine yogurt, Parmesan cheese, and ground red pepper. Set aside.
- Cut polenta into 12 portions. Transfer to an oval baking dish or 15x10x1-inch baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray coating. Spoon yogurt mixture over polenta.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes until tops are golden and polenta is heated through. Serve with pizza sauce, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Do not cut cornmeal mixture; cover and chill up to 24 hours. Prepare yogurt mixture; cover and chill up to 24 hours. To serve, cut cornmeal mixture into 12 portions. Assemble and heat as above.
Nutrition Facts (Cheesy Polenta Squares)
- Per serving:
- 91 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- 5 mg chol. ,
- 200 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 5 g pro.