Gooey Chocolate-Caramel Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly coat foil with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl beat butter with a mixer on medium 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl as needed. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in the flour. Stir in chocolate pieces and nuts.
- Press 2 1/2 cups of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, holding foil as you spread. Bake 10 minutes. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top of the dough. Arrange chocolate squares over the milk layer. Drop the remaining dough by teaspoons on the filling.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until top is golden and milk is bubbly. Cool bars in pan on a wire rack. Use edges of foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Transfer to a cutting board. Cut into bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer bars between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
To toast nuts, spread nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake 5 to 10 minutes in a 350 degrees F oven until light brown, watching carefully and stirring once or twice.
Nutrition Facts (Gooey Chocolate-Caramel Bars)
- Per serving:
- 226 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 127 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 23 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.