Golden Salsa Jam
- In an 8- to 10-quart stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy pot stir together tomatoes, sweet pepper, mango, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, onion, cilantro, orange-carrot juice, and salt. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in lime peel and lime juice.
- In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup of the sugar and the pectin; stir into the tomato mixture. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Stir in the remaining 3 cups sugar. Return to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.**
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
This jam will have a soft-set, spoonable consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Golden Salsa Jam)
- Per serving:
- 21 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 18 mg sodium ,
- 5 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.