Gluten Free Zucchini Muffins with Greek Yogurt Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs and milk. Stir in quinoa, zucchini, applesauce, oil, and vanilla. Add quinoa mixture all at once to flour mixture, stirring gently to combine. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each three-fourths full.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire rack. Before serving, spread Greek Yogurt Frosting over muffins and sprinkle with lemon peel.
From the Test Kitchen
If you prefer to omit the frosting, serve these slightly sweet muffins with a simple drizzle of honey.
For 1 cup cooked quinoa, rinse and drain 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa. In a small saucepan combine the quinoa and 2/3 cup water. Cook according to package directions; cool.
Place unfrosted muffins in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 24 hours or freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, thaw muffins if frozen. If desired, frost as directed.
Greek Yogurt Frosting
- In a small bowl stir together yogurt, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Makes about 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Zucchini Muffins with Greek Yogurt Frosting)
- Per serving:
- 164 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 31 mg chol. ,
- 166 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.