Gluten-Free Wild Rice-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Cranberries and Pancetta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Add 1/2-inch water to the bottom of a large roasting pan. Arrange the squash halves, cut sides down, in the roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Turn squash halves cut sides up. Brush cut sides of squash with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes more or just until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook and stir pancetta over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove pancetta from skillet. Drain on paper towels.
- Add onion to drippings in skillet; cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add spinach, sage, and the crisped pancetta. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in the cooked rice, pecans, and cranberries. Mix well.
- Divide rice mixture among squash halves, filling each cavity with about 2/3 cup rice mixture. Drizzle with remaining melted butter. Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes more or until heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
Stick to plain, cooked brown rice or wild rice for this recipe. Packaged mixes are more likely to contain gluten.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten-Free Wild Rice-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Cranberries and Pancetta)
- Per serving:
- 462 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 27 mg chol. ,
- 391 mg sodium ,
- 63 g carb. ,
- 7 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.
How To Video
halfnelson79079 175 Days Ago
As the LA temp finally falls off the 100 degree mark, I can use the oven. Yeah!! I made this last night, with a small simply dressed green salad, perfect dinner!! I used a very small acorn and left out sugar adding apple pie spice mix. I will be making this often, perhaps changing the greens and/or meat. I did bake both halves using the empty half for a small batch muffin breakfast. Do not be affraid of the fruit and nuts, do not use power sage!! This is an amazingly flavorful meal that warms the soul. Your house will smell amazing too!! For Thanksgiving I will be making large batch in my trusty old electric oven. I will use the sugar, leave out the meat. I consider this, Two side dishes, great for those that do not like bread stuffing or green bean casserole! Thanx for taking the time to read this!raf
ALR3320200DW 186 Days Ago
Can fresh cranberries be used??