Gluten Free Pumpkin-Tortilla Casserole with Chicken
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine pumpkin, 1 teaspoon of the cumin, half of the garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; set aside.
- For sauce, in a food processor combine tomatillos, onion, broth, cilantro, chile pepper, the remaining 1 teaspoon cumin, the remaining garlic, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and process until smooth. Place shredded chicken in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the sauce; toss gently to coat.
- Lightly coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with four of the tortillas, tearing as necessary to cover entire surface. Top with half of the pumpkin mixture, half of the chicken mixture, 1/2 cup of the sauce, and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining four tortillas, the remaining sauce, and the remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake about 15 minutes more or until bubbly around the edges. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with sour cream and salsa.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Pumpkin-Tortilla Casserole with Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 444 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 88 mg chol. ,
- 737 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 35 g pro.