Gluten Free Pho-Flavor Flank Steak Lettuce Wraps
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 2-inch pieces. Place meat in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Top with yellow onions. In a medium bowl combine the water, fish sauce, sugar, vinegar, half of the jalapeno peppers, and the five-spice powder. Pour vinegar mixture over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove meat from cooker, reserving cooking liquid. Transfer half of the meat to an airtight container or freezer container; cover and chill or freeze for another use. Shred or chop the remaining meat; transfer to a medium bowl. Strain cooking liquid. Stir enough of the strained liquid (about 1/4 cup) into shredded meat to moisten.
- To serve, divide shredded meat among lettuce leaves. Top with radishes, basil leaves, green onions, and the remaining jalapeno peppers. Sprinkle with lime juice. If desired, serve with Asian chili sauce and lime wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Pho-Flavor Flank Steak Lettuce Wraps)
- Per serving:
- 137 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 33 mg chol. ,
- 257 mg sodium ,
- 4 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 17 g pro.