Gluten Free Make-Ahead Sausage, Mushroom, and Polenta Bake
- In a large skillet cook sausage, jalapeno (if desired), and the 2 cloves garlic over medium-high heat until sausage is brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Stir in marinara. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In another large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, green onions, the 2 cloves garlic, and the rosemary. Cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in whipping cream, wine, and salt. Cook over low heat about 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- For polenta, in a large saucepan bring broth, the water, and the Italian seasoning to boiling. Slowly add cornmeal, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling; reduce heat. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Spread half of the sausage mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Working quickly, spread half of the polenta over sausage mixture in dish. Top with mushroom mixture and half of the cheese. Quickly spread the remaining polenta over top as evenly as possible. Top with the remaining sausage mixture and the remaining cheese. Cool completely.
- Cover baking dish with plastic wrap, then with foil. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight (casserole may still be a bit icy). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap; re-cover with foil. Bake about 1 1/2 hours or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Make-Ahead Sausage, Mushroom, and Polenta Bake)
- Per serving:
- 495 kcal ,
- 30 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 83 mg chol. ,
- 1504 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.