Gluten Free Glazed Chocolate Cake
- In a medium mixing bowl allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine milk, cocoa powder, and butter. Heat over medium heat just until boiling, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Add baking chocolate, whisking until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x1 1/2- or 9x1 1/2-inch round baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper or waxed paper; grease paper. Flour pan using brown rice flour; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together the 2/3 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add cooled chocolate mixture to flour mixture, stirring until well mixed (batter will be thick). Set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate-flour mixture. Fold in the remaining beaten egg whites just until combined. Spread batter in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Remove and discard parchment paper. Cool completely. Top with Coconut-Pecan Glaze or Sour Cream Glaze.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, reserve 1 egg yolk for Coconut-Pecan Glaze.
Sour Cream Glaze
- In a small bowl stir together sour cream, powdered sugar, and 1vanilla until smooth.
- Lightly beat egg yolk; set aside. In a small saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Add coconut water. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Gradually whisk half of the coconut water mixture into the lightly beaten egg yolk. Stir egg yolk mixture into the remaining coconut water mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, pecans, and vanilla. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Glazed Chocolate Cake)
- Per serving:
- 237 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 28 mg chol. ,
- 153 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 26 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.