Gluten Free Coconut Cream and Pineapple Cream Puffs
- For coconut cream, in a small saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in coconut milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot coconut milk mixture into egg yolk. Add egg yolk mixture to the coconut milk mixture in saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Place saucepan in a very large bowl half-filled with ice water. Stir constantly for 2 minutes to cool quickly. Transfer to a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- For cream puffs, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. In a small saucepan combine the water, the butter, and salt. Bring to boiling. Add brown rice flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Drop dough into 10 mounds on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Transfer to a wire rack; cool for 5 minutes. When just cool enough to handle, cut off tops of puffs and set aside. Scoop out and discard any excess soft dough from the centers. Cool completely.
- To serve, divide coconut cream among bottoms of puffs. Sprinkle with pineapple and flaked coconut. Top with puff tops.
From the Test Kitchen
To grill fresh pineapple, heat a lightly greased grill pan over medium heat. Place two 3/4-inch-thick slices fresh pineapple on hot grill pan; grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. When cool enough to handle, core slices and chop pineapple.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten Free Coconut Cream and Pineapple Cream Puffs)
- Per serving:
- 153 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 68 mg chol. ,
- 92 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.