Gluten-Free Asian Beef and Noodle Bowl
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces. In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven combine meat, broth, onion, the 1/2 cup water, the tamari, fish sauce (if desired), serrano pepper, garlic, and star anise. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Remove and discard star anise from broth mixture. Stir in mushrooms, cabbage, snap peas, and water chestnuts. Return just to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer about 5 minutes or until snap peas are crisp-tender. In a small bowl stir together cornstarch and the 1 tablespoon cold water; stir into broth mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- To serve, divide noodles among bowls and ladle soup over.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Gluten-Free Asian Beef and Noodle Bowl)
- Per serving:
- 207 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 52 mg chol. ,
- 654 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.