- Grease and flour twenty-four 3-inch madeleine molds. Set molds aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl beat sugar and egg yolks with electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or until combined. Add the melted butter, orange peel, orange liqueur, and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sprinkle about one-fourth of the flour mixture over the egg-yolk mixture; stir in gently. Repeat, sprinkling and stirring in one-fourth of the flour mixture at a time. Gently stir in the egg whites.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared molds, filling each mold about one-half full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown and tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in molds for 1 minute. Using the point of a knife, loosen each madeleine from the mold; invert mold onto a wire rack. Remove mold. Transfer madeleines to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Dip half of each cookie in warm Chocolate Glaze, letting excess drip off. Place on a parchment or foil-lined pan. If desired, sprinkle pistachios onto Chocolate Glaze. Chill madeleines about 30 minutes or until Chocolate Glaze is set.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer unglazed cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Layer glazed cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- In a medium saucepan heat whipping cream, vanilla, and, if desired, orange-flavor liqueur over medium-high heat until just boiling. Remove from heat. Add chocolate. Do not stir. Let stand for 5 minutes; stir until smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Glazed Madeleines)
- Per serving:
- 126 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 52 mg chol. ,
- 62 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.