Glazed Almond Shortbread Stacks
- For glazed almonds, line a baking sheet with foil and lightly butter the foil. Place granulated sugar in a medium heavy skillet. Heat over medium-high heat, shaking skillet several times to heat sugar evenly (do not stir). Heat until some of the sugar is melted (it should look syrupy). Start to stir only the melted sugar to keep it from overbrowning and stirring in the remaining sugar as it melts. Reduce heat to low. Continue to cook and stir until all of the sugar is melted and golden brown. Stir in the 2 teaspoons butter. Add the sliced almonds to skillet, stirring to coat. Pour almond mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Using two forks, separate almond mixture into small clusters while still warm. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl combine flour and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Stir in the finely chopped almonds. Knead until smooth and shape into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat dough until 1/4 inch thick. Using a 1 1/2-inch scalloped round cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until bottoms just start to brown and cookies are set. Remove; cool cookies on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, place dried apriocts in a small bowl; add enough boiling water to cover. Let stand 5 minutes; drain. Cut apricots into strips.
- For frosting, remove 1/4 teaspoon zest and squeeze 1 teaspoon juice from orange. In a small bowl beat cream cheese and powdered sugar with a mixer on medium until smooth. Add orange zest and juice; beat until combined. If necessary, stir in additional orange juice to make frosting spreading consistency.
- Spread shortbread rounds with frosting; top with glazed almonds and apricot strips.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer unfrosted cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 2 days or freeze up to 1 month. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen. Prepare frosting and assemble as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Glazed Almond Shortbread Stacks)
- Per serving:
- 89 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 35 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.