Gingered Cherry Cobbler
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- For topping, in a medium bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- For filling, in a large saucepan combine cherries, granulated sugar, ginger, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat until cherries juice out, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Keep filling hot.
- In a small bowl stir together egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just to moisten. Pour hot cherry filling into baking dish. Immediately drop dough into 10 to 12 mounds on top of hot cherry mixture. Sprinkle dough with nuts, if desired, and coarse sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted in topping comes out clean. Cool in dish on a wire rack for 30 minutes. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, use 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.
Nutrition Facts (Gingered Cherry Cobbler)
- Per serving:
- 484 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 59 mg chol. ,
- 397 mg sodium ,
- 86 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 48 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.