Recipes and Cooking Gingerbread Snowflakes Be the first to rate & review! Give gingerbread cutouts a new look! These adorable snowflakes are simply decorated with powdered sugar icing and a dusting of powdered sugar. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on December 17, 2020 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Carson Downing Prep Time: 50 mins Chill Time: 1 hrs Bake Time: 6 mins Total Time: 50 mins Servings: 24 Yield: 24 to 48 cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients ½ cup shortening ¼ cup butter, softened ½ cup granulated sugar 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon ground ginger ½ teaspoon baking soda ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon ground cloves ¼ teaspoon salt 1 egg ½ cup molasses 1 tablespoon cider vinegar 3 cup all-purpose flour 1 recipe Powdered Sugar Icing (optional) (recipe, p. xx) Powdered Sugar Icing 4 cup powdered sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla 3 tablespoon milk Directions In a large bowl beat shortening and butter with a mixer on medium 30 seconds. Add next seven ingredients (through salt); beat until combined, scraping bowl as needed. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar. Beat in flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle. Preheat oven to 375°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough at a time to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 3- to 4-inch snowflake cookie cutter, cut out dough, rerolling scraps as needed. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on cookie sheets 1 minute. Remove; cool on wire racks. If desired, decorate cookies with Powdered Sugar Icing. Powdered Sugar Icing In a medium bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk (3 to 4 tablespoons) to make drizzling consistency. Snow Flurries A light dusting of powdered sugar over cookies and bars is both lovely and easy to do. Simply spoon the powdered sugar into a sieve held over a bowl. Tap the sieve gently as you move it over the cookies, letting the sugar shower down. Avoid stacking, handling, or moving the cookies excessively after sprinkling. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 151 Calories 7g Fat 21g Carbs 2g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 24 Calories 151 % Daily Value * Total Fat 7g 9% Saturated Fat 2g 10% Cholesterol 13mg 4% Sodium 92mg 4% Total Carbohydrate 21g 8% Total Sugars 9g Protein 2g Vitamin C 0mg 0% Calcium 30mg 2% Iron 1.1mg 6% Potassium 120mg 3% Fatty acids, total trans 1g Folate, total 29.7mcg Vitamin B-12 0mcg Vitamin B-6 0.1mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.