Ginger-Sesame Oats with Mushrooms and Charred Green Onions
- In a small saucepan bring broth to boiling. Stir in oats. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until oats are tender and mixture is thickened and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in an 8-inch skillet, heat 1 tsp. of the oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and ginger. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining oil to skillet. Increase heat to medium-high. Add green onions. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until charred. Remove from heat.
- Stir mushrooms into oats. Top with soy sauce, green onions, and crushed red pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare oats as above and omit remaining ingredients. In a small saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add 8 small sage leaves. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until butter is browned; set aside. Cook 4 ounces bulk pork sausage in a small skillet; drain fat. Stir in 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Bring to boiling; add 4 fresh or dried figs, cut into wedges. Boil gently, uncovered, for 5 to 8 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone. Serve over oats topped with sage leaves and browned butter.
For a more creamy consistency, add up to 1 cup more broth or water.
Nutrition Facts (Ginger-Sesame Oats with Mushrooms and Charred Green Onions)
- Per serving:
- 474 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 748 mg sodium ,
- 65 g carb. ,
- 12 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.