Ginger-Pear Star Scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, 1 tablespoon ginger, 1/2 teaspoon grated or 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pear. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs and 2/3 cup whipping cream. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Divide dough in half. Lightly roll or pat half of the dough at a time into a 7-inch circle. Using a 2- to 2-1/2-inch star-shape cutter, cut out scones. Reroll scraps to cut additional scones.
- Place scones 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with additional whipping cream. If desired, sprinkle with additional grated nutmeg and/or ginger. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden. Serve warm with Spiced Butter.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare scones as directed. Place cooled scones in a resealable plastic freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, thaw at room temperature. If desired, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place scones on a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until warm. Serve with Spiced Butter.
- In a small bowl stir together sugar, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Stir in butter until combined. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Nutrition Facts (Ginger-Pear Star Scones)
- Per serving:
- 119 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 35 mg chol. ,
- 109 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.