Ginger-Mango Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom(s) and 1/2 inch up the sides of one 9x5x3-inch or two 7 1/2x3 1/2x2-inch loaf pan(s); set aside. In a large bowl combine all-purpose flour, white whole wheat flour, rye flour, baking powder, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together eggs, bananas, sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). Top with chopped mango and crystallized ginger.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes for the 9x5x3-inch pan or 45 to 55 minutes for the 7 1/2x3 1/2x2-inch pans or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center(s) comes out clean. If necessary to prevent overbrowning, cover loosely with foil for the last 15 minutes of baking. Cool in pan(s) on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan(s). Cool completely on rack. Wrap each loaf in plastic wrap and store overnight at room temperature before slicing.
From the Test Kitchen
Blueberry-Coconut Banana Bread:
Prepare as directed, except omit mango and crystallized ginger. Reduce ground ginger to 1/4 teaspoon and add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the ginger. Toss 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries with 1 tablespoon of the all-purpose flour. Fold into the batter. Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). Top batter in pans with 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, 1/4 cup flaked coconut, and 1/4 chopped pecans. Continue as directed.
Nutrition analysis per slice: 193 cal., 9 g fat (1 g sat. fat), 23 mg chol., 131 mg sodium, 26 g carb. (12 g sugar), 2 g fiber, 3 g pro. Daily Values: 1% Vitamin A, 3% Vitamin C, 3% calcium, 4% iron
Dark Chocolate-Raspberry Banana Bread:
Prepare as directed, except omit mango and crystallized ginger. Reduce ground ginger to 1/4 teaspoon and add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the ginger. Toss 1/2 cup fresh raspberries with 1 tablespoon of the all-purpose flour. Stir raspberries and 1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces into the batter. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Drop 1/4 cup raspberry preserves by teaspoons over batter; swirl into batter. Top with an additional 1/4 cup fresh raspberries. Bake, cool, and let stand overnight as directed. If desired, in a small microwave-safe bowl microwave 1/4 cup raspberry preserves on 100 percent power (high) for 20 to 30 seconds or until melted. Drizzle melted preserves over bread.
Nutrition analysis per slice: 224 cal., 10 g fat ( 2 g sat. fat), 23 mg chol., 135 mg sodium, 33 g carb. (18 g sugar), 2 g fiber, 3 g pro. Daily Values: 1% Vitamin A, 5% Vitamin C, 135 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 4% iron
Nutrition Facts (Ginger-Mango Banana Bread)
- Per serving:
- 176 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 23 mg chol. ,
- 131 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 12 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.