Ginger Creme Brulee
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium saucepan combine half-and-half, the 1/4 cup sugar, and the fresh ginger. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 10 minutes (reduce heat as necessary to prevent boiling). Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Strain and discard fresh ginger.
- Place four 5- or 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups in an 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a medium bowl whisk together egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually whisk in warm half-and-half mixture. Divide egg mixture among ramekins. Set baking pan on oven rack. Pour enough hot water into baking pan to reach halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or just until custards are set in centers. Remove custards from the water; cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- To serve, let custards stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Sprinkle tops of custards with the 4 teaspoons sugar. Using a small handheld kitchen torch, slowly and evenly melt the sugar. (Or quickly drizzle Caramelized Topper over custards. Let stand for a few minutes or until set.) Sprinkle with crystallized ginger. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
If you don't have a kitchen torch, prepare the Caramelized Topper instead.
- In an 8-inch skillet cook sugar over medium-high heat until sugar starts to melt, shaking skillet occasionally. Do not stir. When sugar starts to melt, reduce heat to low and cook about 5 minutes or until all of the sugar is melted, stirring as needed with a wooden spoon. Immediately drizzle over custards.
Nutrition Facts (Ginger Creme Brulee)
- Per serving:
- 240 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 246 mg chol. ,
- 44 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 16 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.