Garlic Potato Rolls
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the tips from garlic bulbs. Wrap in foil, cut side up, and drizzle with olive oil. Enclose garlic in foil. Bake for 25 minutes or until softened. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic from cloves and mash.
- In a large bowl stir together potatoes, garlic, brown sugar, and milk with a wooden spoon until combined but not smooth. Add 2 cups of the flour, the salt, and yeast; stir until thoroughly combined (potatoes will be lumpy). Stir in enough of the remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until dough is soft and tacky, stirring well after each addition. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour until dough becomes firmer but is still smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly oiled large bowl, turning once to coat. Cover; let rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until double in size.
- Return dough to lightly floured surface (dough will be sticky). Cover; let rest for 10 minutes more. Line a large baking sheet or a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Divide dough into 18 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Arrange balls on the prepared baking sheet with sides of rolls touching. Cover; let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes or until double in size.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl lightly beat egg with the 1 tablespoon water. Brush over rolls. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown, covering with foil the last 10 minutes of baking. Remove and cool for 5 minutes. If desired, spread with butter while warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare rolls as directed. Transfer to a storage container. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 24 hours. To reheat, wrap in foil and heat in a 350 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until warm.
Nutrition Facts (Garlic Potato Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 119 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 11 mg chol. ,
- 271 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.