Fruit-Stuffed Pork Roast with Apples
- For stuffing, in a medium bowl combine dried fruit, chopped onion, and vinegar. Add enough boiling water to cover. Let stand, covered, 30 minutes; drain. Stir in bread crumbs, 2 Tbsp. of the melted butter, the 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and cloves.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Untie meat and trim off fat. To butterfly, make a lengthwise cut down center of each loin, cutting to within 1/2 inch of other side. Spread open. Make another lengthwise slit to the right of first cut and a third slit to the left. Using flat side of a meat mallet, flatten each loin between two pieces of plastic wrap until 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
- Place meat rectangles side by side with long sides overlapping about 1 inch. Sprinkle lightly with additional salt and pepper. Spread stuffing onto meat. Starting from a long side, roll up into a spiral. Retie meat.
- Place meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush whole onions and apple wedges with remaining 1 Tbsp. melted butter; place onions in pan around meat. If desired, sprinkle meat and onions with thyme.
- Roast 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until meat registers 145 degrees F, adding apples and brushing meat, onions, and apples with jelly the last 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Cover meat with foil; let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Top with additional thyme (if desired) and serve with onions and apples.
From the Test Kitchen
If you can't find mixed dried fruit bits, substitute 1 1/2 cups snipped dried apricots, sweetened dried cranberries, and/or golden raisins.
While you can just stir the jelly and brush it on, it will be smoother if melted first in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit-Stuffed Pork Roast with Apples)
- Per serving:
- 366 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 95 mg chol. ,
- 202 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 29 g sugar ,
- 33 g pro.