- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat and stir milk, granulated sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (105 to 115 degrees F) and butter starts to melt. Add 1-1/3 cups of flour, the milk mixture, and egg to yeast mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes more. Stir in raisins, candied fruits, and as much of the remaining flour as possible with a wooden spoon.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes). Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (about 1-1/2 hours).
- Punch down dough. Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Grease a large baking sheet or line with parchment; set aside. Press or roll each half of dough into a 9x5-inch oval. Without stretching, fold lengthwise in half; press edges to lightly seal. Place loaves on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise until nearly double (about 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake about 20 minutes or until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Makes 2 loaves (24 servings)
From the Test Kitchen
Choose from Splenda® Granular or Sweet 'N Low® bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/4 cup sugar.
PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE: same as above, except 106 cal., 19 g carb., 5 g sugar
Exchanges: 1 starch
Carb choices: 1
Prepare and bake as directed. Cool completely. Wrap and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit Stollen)
- Per serving:
- 113 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 5 mg chol. ,
- 72 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.