Fruit and Nuts Oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread oats and nuts in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until oats are light brown, stirring twice. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- In a 1-quart glass jar layer ingredients in this order: 1/2 of the oat mixture, the dry milk powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, wheat germ, dried fruit, and the remaining oat mixture. Tap jar gently on the counter to settle each layer before adding the next. If desired, give a jar of honey with the oatmeal. Attach directions for serving oatmeal.
- Before using, shake ingredients in jar to mix.
- FOR TWO SERVINGS: In a medium saucepan bring 1 1/2 cups water and, if desired, 1 tablespoon butter to boiling. Add 2/3 cup of the jar contents; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until oatmeal reaches desired consistency (oatmeal will thicken slightly as it cools). Let stand for 1 to 2 minutes before serving. If desired, drizzle oatmeal with honey.
- FOR ONE SERVING IN A MICROWAVE: In a large microwave-safe cereal bowl, combine 3/4 cup water, 1/3 cup of the jar contents and, if desired, 1 teaspoon butter. Microwave, uncovered, on 50 percent power (medium) for 8 to 10 minutes or until oatmeal reaches desired consistency (oatmeal will thicken slightly as it cools). Let stand for 1 minute before serving. If desired, drizzle oatmeal with honey.
From the Test Kitchen
Store the layered jar of ingredients at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit and Nuts Oatmeal)
- Per serving:
- 118 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 103 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.