Fruit- and Almond-Filled Cinnamon Rolls with Amaretto Icing
- In a small bowl combine apricots, cherries, Kirsch, and amaretto. Cover tightly and chill overnight. Or in a small saucepan combine Kirsch and amaretto. Carefully heat over medium-low heat just until warm.* Stir in apricots and cherries; remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup of the warm water and the yeast; let stand about 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl combine the remaining 1/2 cup warm water, 2 cups of the flour, the buttermilk, eggs, sugar, melted butter, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Beat in yeast mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each dough half into a 15x12-inch rectangle. Spread Frangipane over dough, leaving about 1 inch unfilled along one of the long sides. Spread fruit mixture over Frangipane. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll up each rectangle, starting from the filled long side; pinch dough to seal seam.
- Cut each rolled rectangle into 10 slices. Arrange in the prepared baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes; remove from pan. Spread with Amaretto Icing. If desired, sprinkle with almonds.
From the Test Kitchen
If alcohol ignites, cover pan with the lid and remove from heat.
- Crumble almond paste into a medium mixing bowl. Add softened butter, sugar, and almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Beat in flour and salt. Makes 2 cups.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat softened butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar, amaretto, and milk (or use 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract instead of the amaretto and milk) until smooth. Makes 2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Fruit- and Almond-Filled Cinnamon Rolls with Amaretto Icing)
- Per serving:
- 484 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 66 mg chol. ,
- 235 mg sodium ,
- 82 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 51 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.