Frosty Snowman Cake
- Allow eggs, buttermilk, and butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease and flour cavities of two 6-inch ball pans (put together, they make one ball) and cavities of 6 mini ball pans; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cocoa powder, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a very large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until well mixed. Scrape sides of bowl and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in food coloring and vanilla until combined. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. In a small bowl stir together baking soda and vinegar; fold into batter.
- Spoon 2-1/2 cups of the batter into each 6-inch ball pan. Spoon about 1/3 cup batter into each mini ball pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes for mini ball pans and 30 to 40 minutes for 6-inch ball pans or until wooden toothpicks inserted near the centers come out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- To assemble, trim a small amount off the top of the rounded side of each of the 6-inch ball halves to make a flat surface on the cake, so it will lay flat on the serving plate and the smaller ball will have a flat surface on which to lay. Place a 6-inch ball half, flat side up, on a cake plate. Spread about 1/2 cup of the Fluffy White Chocolate Frosting on top. Top with the other 6-inch ball half, flat side down. Spread about 2 tablespoons frosting on the flat side of half of the mini ball cakes. Assemble mini balls by placing remaining cakes, flat sides down, on frosted halves. Trim a small amount off the bottom of one mini ball. Place, trimmed side down, on top of the ball on the cake plate. Use two long wooden skewers, trimmed as needed, to pierce the cake to hold ball in place. Spread frosting over entire cake. Spread remaining frosting over remaining mini ball cakes.
- To decorate, generously coat the snowman and mini balls with coconut. Place candies on top ball like coal to make snowman eyes, nose, and mouth. Place candies on the large ball for buttons. Give snowman a scarf of fruit leather or taffy. Make a snowman face on each of the mini balls.
From the Test Kitchen
If you have flaked coconut, place it in a food processor and pulse with several on/off turns to finely chop it.
Fluffy White Chocolate Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in white chocolate. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to make a frosting of spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Frosty Snowman Cake)
- Per serving:
- 766 kcal ,
- 31 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 90 mg chol. ,
- 533 mg sodium ,
- 118 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 96 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.