- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line the cups of five or six 6-cup foil muffin pans with paper bake cups; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt. Add the water, sour cream, egg whites, vegetable oil, orange peel, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed just until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Fold in chocolate pieces. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Return cooled cupcakes to pans. Frost cupcakes with Orange Buttercream Frosting. Top with mini doughnuts. Fill in the holes in the doughnuts with frosting. Sprinkle powdered sugar over frosting plug. Decorate doughnuts as faces by attaching small candies with frosting for the eyes and pieces of orange fruit gel candy slices for the noses.
From the Test Kitchen
Place undecorated cupcakes in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cupcakes, if frozen. Decorate as directed before giving as gifts.
Orange Buttercream Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 3 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in the orange peel, 6 tablespoons orange juice, and the vanilla. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar. Beat in enough additional orange juice or milk (1 teaspoon at a time) to reach spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Frosty Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 408 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 18 mg chol. ,
- 275 mg sodium ,
- 68 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 55 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.