Frijoles Charros con Carne Cuatro (Cowboy Beans with Four Meats)
- Rinse beans; drain. In a large pot combine beans and 8 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. (Or place beans in water in large pot. Cover and let soak in a cool place overnight.) Drain and rinse beans.
- In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels; set aside. In the same skillet brown pork shoulder, half at a time, in hot bacon drippings. Place pork shoulder in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; set aside. In the same skillet cook sweet pepper, onion, and garlic about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add bacon, onion mixture, pork hocks, chile peppers, chili powder, and coriander to cooker. Stir in soaked beans and 8 cups fresh water. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove pork hocks. When cool enough to handle, cut meat off bones; coarsely chop meat. Discard bones. Stir chopped pork hocks, chorizo, and cilantro into bean mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Frijoles Charros con Carne Cuatro (Cowboy Beans with Four Meats))
- Per serving:
- 432 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 72 mg chol. ,
- 893 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.