- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, cornmeal, and pepper. Set aside.
- Drain pickled vegetables and place in a medium bowl. Pour buttermilk over pickled vegetables, stirring to coat.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan heat 2 inches oil over medium heat to 375 degrees F.
- Place a handful of buttermilk-coated pickled vegetables into the flour mixture in bag; seal bag and shake to coat. Remove pickled vegetables, shaking off excess flour mixture. Using a slotted spoon, place vegetables in hot oil. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pickled vegetables to prepared baking sheet; keep warm, uncovered, in oven. Repeat with remaining pickled vegetables. Serve warm with Ginger Aioli.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, ginger, lime juice, and salt until combined. Gradually whisk in oil. Stir in green onion. Makes 2/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Fried Pickles)
- Per serving:
- 428 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 817 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.