Fried Egg and Smoky Pozole Tacos
- Cut open peppers; discard stems and seeds.* In a blender combine peppers and enough boiling water to cover (about 3/4 cup). Let stand 15 minutes, pushing to keep peppers submerged as needed. Cover and blend until smooth.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan heat 1 tsp. of the oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper mixture, hominy, and tomatoes. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet heat remaining 2 tsp. oil over medium heat. Break 4 of the eggs into skillet. Sprinkle with half of the salt and cumin. Reduce heat to low; cook eggs 3 to 4 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Repeat with remaining 4 eggs, salt, and cumin, adding additional oil if needed.
- Spoon sauce onto tortillas and top with cooked eggs. Serve with desired toppings.
From the Test Kitchen
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Nutrition Facts (Fried Egg and Smoky Pozole Tacos)
- Per serving:
- 198 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 188 mg chol. ,
- 527 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.