Recipes and Cooking Fried Churro Apple Rings Give traditional churros a twist by using the batter to coat sliced apple rings instead of frying them plain. Once they're ready, these cinnamon-sugar-coated treats can rival even a slice of apple pie. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on July 29, 2019 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Jason Donnelly Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 4 mins Total Time: 19 mins Servings: 18 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients ¾ cup all-purpose flour 2 tablespoon sugar ¼ teaspoon baking powder ⅔ cup milk 1 egg 1 tablespoon butter, melted ½ teaspoon vanilla ½ cup sugar ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices Vegetable oil for deep-fat frying Directions For batter, in a medium bowl combine flour, the 2 Tbsp. sugar, and the baking powder. Add next four ingredients (through vanilla). Whisk just until smooth. For cinnamon-sugar, in a shallow dish combine the 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon. In a large deep skillet or deep-fat fryer heat 1/2 inch oil to 365°F. (If using an electric fryer, follow manufacturer's directions.) Using a fork, dip apple slices into batter; drain off excess batter. Place carefully in the oil. Fry apple rings, a few at a time, in hot oil 2 minutes per side or until golden brown, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. While still warm, toss in cinnamon-sugar to coat generously. To Store Although best served immediately after frying, extra apple rings may be stored. Transfer cooled rings to an airtight container and refrigerate up to 2 days. To reheat, place rings on a baking sheet in a preheated 450°oven until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Air-Fryer Directions Dip apple rings in batter and place on a parchment- or wax paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze 30 to 60 minutes or until batter is set. Fry in a single layer at 400°F for 7 to 9 minutes, according to manufacturer's instructions. Brush with melted butter before dredging in cinnamon-sugar. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 98 Calories 4g Fat 14g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 18 Calories 98 % Daily Value * Total Fat 4g 5% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Cholesterol 13mg 4% Sodium 20mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 14g 5% Total Sugars 9g Protein 1g Calcium 19mg 1% Iron 0.3mg 2% Potassium 44mg 1% Folate, total 11.9mcg Vitamin B-12 0.1mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.