Fresh Strawberry Buttercream
- In a very large heatproof bowl continually whisk egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt over a pan of simmering water until sugar dissolves and mixture reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove from water. Beat with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add butter, a small piece at a time, until mixture thickens and becomes smooth and spreadable (mixture will look thin and a little curdled, but will thicken as butter is added). Stir in vanilla bean seeds and vanilla.
- In a food processor or blender process or blend strawberries until smooth. Press through a fine mesh strainer (you should have 3/4 cup puree). Beat or whisk strained strawberry mixture into the frosting.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except substitute 3/4 cup blackberries and 3/4 cup blueberries for the strawberries.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 131 calories, 7 g total sugar, 1% Vitamin C
Prepare as above, except substitute 4 mangoes, seeded, peeled and cut up for the strawberries and stir in 1/3 cup carrot juice with the sieved mango puree.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 141 calories, 9 g carbohydrate, 9 g total sugar, 17% Vitamin A, 11% Vitamin C, 24 mg sodium, 1% calcium
Prepare as above, except substitute 1 16-ounce package frozen peach slices, thawed, for the strawberries. Place 3 cups fresh spinach and 1/3 cup water in a blender container. Cover and blend until smooth. Press through a fine mesh sieve. Stir into frosting with sieved peach puree.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 137 calories, 8 g carbohydrate, 8 g total sugar, 12% Vitamin A, 20% Vitamin C, 26 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 1% iron
Nutrition Facts (Fresh Strawberry Buttercream)
- Per serving:
- 130 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 30 mg chol. ,
- 23 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.