French-Toasted Sausage and Pear "Hot Dogs"
- Slice chicken sausage lengthwise into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick pieces. In a large skillet heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Brown sliced chicken sausage on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Wipe out skillet with paper towels; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow dish whisk together eggs, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside.
- If using frankfurter buns, drizzle cut sides with honey. Add a slice of cheese to each bun. Fill with sliced chicken sausage and pear. Close buns with wooden toothpicks to secure.
- In the large skillet heat butter or oil over medium heat. Dip 3 of the filled buns in egg mixture; add to skillet. Cook until well browned, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining filled buns. Remove toothpicks. Serve with maple syrup..
From the Test Kitchen
To hold French toast warm place cooked French toast in a rectangular baking dish and set in a 200 degrees F oven.
Nutrition Facts (French-Toasted Sausage and Pear "Hot Dogs" )
- Per serving:
- 551 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 159 mg chol. ,
- 734 mg sodium ,
- 63 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 42 g sugar ,
- 23 g pro.