French Garden Soup
- In a Dutch oven heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add pearl onions and fennel; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until fragrant and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add green beans and carrots; cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add broth, tomatoes, wine, and herbes de Provence. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir in peas. Simmer, covered, about 5 minutes more or until vegetables are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cool soup slightly and transfer to a 1-gallon resealable freezer bag. Squeeze air from bag; seal and freeze for up to 1 month.*
- To serve, thaw soup in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, add one 15-ounce can garbanzo beans or cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained, after thawing soup. Heat through.
If you prefer, cool soup slightly and transfer to an airtight storage container. Cover and chill for up to 3 days. To serve, transfer to a large saucepan and heat as directed.
Nutrition Facts (French Garden Soup)
- Per serving:
- 142 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 10 mg chol. ,
- 886 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.